Psalms 144, An Expose on the Characteristics of God
“Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and He in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me” (KJV)
The Bible says, “without faith it is impossible to please Him” (Hebrews 11:6). Just one look, even a glance at Psalm 144 will fill your heart with such confidence and assurance that you can easily walk by “faith and not by sight (II Corinthians 5:7). Come walk with me through this passage and let the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7).
Let’s take a look at who God is to us as revealed in Psalm 144.. He is our Lord. He is our strength. He is our teacher. He is our goodness. He is our fortress. He is our high tower. He is our deliverer. He is our shield. He is the one we trust. He is the one who subdues our enemies. Each of these characteristics of who God is to us is amazing and wonderful. Each characteristic makes a statement of the depth of God’s love to us, of His capabilities, of His omnipotence and omniscience. Each of these characteristics on their own would bring peace to our hearts and blessed assurance but as we look at each of these realizing that they all come together with who He is our hearts can’t help but overflow with joy and praise. Hallelujah to the Lamb of God, our Saviour who taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29).
He is our Lord.
- Acts 2:36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
- Acts 5:31 “Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.”
- I Corinthians 1:9 “God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.”
- Ephesians 4:5 “One Lord, one faith, one baptism,”
He is our Strength.
- Exodus 15:2 “The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him.”
- II Samuel 22:33 “God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.”
- Psalm 84:5 “Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them.”
- Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”
He is our Teacher.
- Psalm 25:12 “What man is he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.”
- Psalm 32:8 “I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.”
- Isaiah 48:17 “Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.”
- John 14:26 “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”
He is our Goodness.
- II Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
- Philippians 3:9 ¶ “And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:”
- 1 Corinthians 1:30 “But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:”
- II Corinthians 5:21 “For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.”
He is our Fortress.
- II Samuel 22:2 “And He said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;”
- Psalm 31:3 “For Thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for Thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me.
- Psalm 91:2 “I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.”
- Nahum 1:7 “The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and He knoweth them that trust in Him.”
He is our High Tower.
- II Samuel 22:3 “The God of my rock; in Him will I trust: He is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my Saviour; thou savest me from violence.
- Psalm 18:2 “The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.”
He is our Deliverer.
- Psalm 34:4 “I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.”
- Psalm 70:5 “But I am poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: Thou art my help and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying.”
- Daniel 6:27 He delivereth and rescueth, and he worketh signs and wonders in heaven and in earth, who hath delivered Daniel from the power of the lions.
- II Timothy 4:18 “And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto His heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
He is our Shield.
- Psalm 28:7 “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise Him.”
- Psalm 84:11 “For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly.”
- Proverbs 30:5 “Every word of God is pure: He is a shield unto them that put their trust in Him.”
- Ephesians 6:16 “Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.”
He is the One we trust.
- Psalm 25:2 “O my God, I trust in Thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.”
- Psalm 37:5 “Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass.”
- Psalm 37:40 “And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: He shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in Him.”
- Psalm 118:8 “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.”
He subdues our enemies.
- Ezra 8:31 “Then we departed from the river of Ahava on the twelfth day of the first month, to go unto Jerusalem: and the hand of our God was upon us, and He delivered us from the hand of the enemy, and of such as lay in wait by the way.
- Psalm 18:48 “He delivereth me from mine enemies: yea, Thou liftest me up above those that rise up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man.
- Isaiah 62:8 “The LORD hath sworn by His right hand, and by the arm of His strength, Surely I will no more give thy corn to be meat for thine enemies; and the sons of the stranger shall not drink thy wine, for the which thou hast laboured:
- Luke 1:71 “That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;”
“To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen” (Jude 1:25).