God Is Our Flashlight
God is such a great God, isn’t He? For each of us who is a Christian, He is our everything. We are so blessed to have the Savior of the Universe care so much about our everyday human lives. He is so much to us – just look at this short list below. I could just go on forever in creating this list.
“For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe” (I Timothy 4:10).
“And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world” (John 4:42).
“Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield” (Psalm 33:20).
“Slay them not, lest my people forget: scatter them by thy power; and bring them down, O Lord our shield” (Psalm 59:11).
“Behold, O God our shield, and look upon the face of thine anointed” (Psalm 84:9).
“A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother” (Proverbs 18:24).
“And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect” (Genesis 17:1).
“And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins” (Genesis 35:11).
“And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not” (Isaiah 58:11).
“Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come” (John 16:13).
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:10).
Perhaps the most amazing characteristic of God is that He is our Light – I like to think of Him as a battery-less, Son-powered flashlight. I recently went to the beach for a weeklong vacation and took the opportunity to visit the Bodie Island Lighthouse in North Carolina. We visited it during the day, and I always admire their splendor. While I was taking some photos of the scene, I couldn’t help but think of typical characteristics and the principle purpose of any lighthouse. The lighthouse itself is made of brick and mortar, making it very strong and durable. It stands tall at its top. As its duty, a lighthouse shines the path for ships that are traveling through the water. A lighthouse reveals the shoreline for a ship at sea. The lighthouse’s light is so necessary for a ship to see as seeing the light determines a ship’s sailing on and finding safety or losing its way and becoming shipwrecked.
God is this for us. He is our forever-beaming lighthouse; our flashlight that never dims and never allows us to be in darkness for even a moment. He loves us so much, and He never leaves our side. He is continuously there to guide us in the direction He would have us to go.
Oftentimes, we find ourselves far, far away from the lighthouse and we can’t even see the light because we have traveled so off-course. Sometimes the lighthouse is near, but the fog is so thick we have trouble seeing the light. Yes, God is our Light – He is always this. But, it’s up to us to remain focused on the light and trust in that light during every situation in our lives. God and the Light He shines on our paths are ever-present; however, our eyes must not fall away from it. As we look to His Lighthouse every day and for every joy and sorrow we live through, we grow stronger and stronger in Jesus Christ.
Allow God to be your flashlight, your lighthouse. He is your light, shining brightly just for you. Look for Him every step of the way and in everything you do. His light will never fade and will never lead you astray. Really think about these verses below throughout this week.
• “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1).
• “God is the LORD, which hath shewed us light” (Psalm 118:27a).
• “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path” (Psalm 119:105).
• “O house of Jacob, come ye, and let us walk in the light of the LORD” (Isaiah 2:5).
• “Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended” (Isaiah 60:20).
• “Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name” (Jeremiah 31:35).
• “For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ” (II Corinthians 4:6).
• “We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts” (II Peter 1:19).